Blog post module 5: reflection prompt

 Well, week 5 allows for some creativity so I started reading about abnormal evolution cases and came across a random website that explains "10 animals evolution plucked straight out of a nightmare" and was intrigued. Then when you go down that rabbit hole, there is no stopping. There are unique cases everywhere and strange organisms that have evolved into unique case studies. Some of the most interesting involves organisms that I had never heard of. It's interesting how different organisms can evolve and withstand the most absurd living conditions, yet other organisms die off so quickly. With genetics and gestation, it's easy to see how some can adapt and how many can not. One of the interesting species I came across is known as the yeti crab. The species has evolved to be able to live in an environment of 720-degree Fahrenheit thermal vents. Yet we are watching species die each day because of global warming. It just impresses me that their bodies are able to withstand the intense living conditions. Their hair allows them to survive the thermal vent temperatures and they have adapted to the conditions well. 


Another weird case that evolution is responsible for includes the vegetarian eagle. The bird has evolved to eat plants and other vegetation. It "preys" on oil palm trees and has adapted a different digestive system to adapt to this lifestyle. Yet it still acts like more eagles and has the same demeanor as them. The massive bill cracks open nuts and seeds. The bird shows how an animal can deviate from to norm to adapt to a better environment for itself. 


There are so many different cases of evolution that have taken place and each one is so interesting in the sense that no two things are the same. Evolution is all around us and continues to alter the world we know. 


Comments

  1. Evolution is super cool! I've seen yeti crabs before, yet I had no idea that they're native to hydrothermal vents. You bring up a really interesting point, too; why *can* yeti crabs survive such intense temperatures, when other organisms are struggling to do the same thing in the face of climate change? If evolution did it once, why can't evolution do it again? What's the key difference between these situations? Is there anything we, as humans, can do to help dying organisms become as robust as the yeti crab?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Madison! I think your topic was really interesting and had never really heard of a yeti crab before. I also think that a vegetarian bird is actually fascinating. As someone who eats pescatarian it is interesting to see that there are animals that have intentional selective diets as well. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Madison! This is such a fun topic to choose. That crab is kind of terrifying but the name makes it 10x cuter. That is crazy that they are able to survive in hydrothermal vents! I also love the vegetarian eagle. I am going to have to go show my mom that, she will love it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post Module 6: Reflection Prompt

Blog Post Module 10: Reflection Prompt

Blog Post Module 4: Reflection Prompt