Blog Post Module 2: Reflection Prompt

 There is evidence all around us showing us that evolution is taking place and has been occurring since the beginning of time. Each species and life form is affected by evolution in some capacity. Evolution can look different for each species but it is happening to us all. The most compelling evidence showing that evolution is occurring comes from Darwin's idea that lineages split and diverge. This idea is traceable and can be seen in so many different examples. Speciation in simple terms is the idea that there is a split in the lineage that causes a new formation of distinct species through the course of evolution. Speciation can be seen over many generations through the use of fossils and comparisons between organisms that are currently living. There is diversity in an entire clade that can be explained by speciation.

https://microbenotes.com/speciation/

One example is in the evolution of the Galapagos finches. The finch adapted to its surroundings and changed based on its needs on that island. Each island had birds but they were isolated by the ocean and eventually, speciation occurred. Another example (according to the Berkeley studies) can be seen with the Ensatina Salamanders. They are located in northern California and Oregon. Some of them moved to warmer regions and they needed to adapt to survive, and thus a subspecies was born and it eventually became a new species entirely. The salamanders are of different colors and require different camouflage to survive. Both of these examples led to reproductive isolation and genetic differences between the two groups. (Dasguta, 2019)


https://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/article/0_0_0/devitt_02

Speciation supports the evidence showing that evolution has been occurring because populations evolved to become distinct species. The organisms made changes genetically that increased their survival rate and passed those genes onto the next generation. The new generation was able to accept these traits as inheritable genes and pass them onto further generations for their survival. This describes evolution, passing on traits through generations. The changes seen in speciation are easy to follow because the changes can happen in a short time period. According to science daily, speciation can occur without physical isolation as well, so this phenomenon can happen in populations even without the barrier like the islands in the Galapagos. Speciation is compelling evidence to support evolution for many reasons. We can trace species and track when they change due to evolution. This can be seen in short time periods and it can be determined when a new species has arisen due to reproductive isolation. In addition, this is evolution because there are changes seen throughout generations due to natural selection and other contributing factors. There is a lot of evidence to prove evolution and understand the ideas surrounding it, but lineages splitting and diverging through time (speciation) is an easy way to interpret the evidence and map out the evolutionary changes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sympatric_speciation



Sources:

https://news.mongabay.com/2019/03/super-variable-california-salamander-is-an-evolutionists-dream/

https://www.nature.com/articles/news.2009.1089

https://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/article/0_0_0/devitt_02

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sympatric_speciation

https://microbenotes.com/speciation/

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2021/02/210218140141.htm

Comments

  1. Hi Madison! I love how you designed your blog! You did a great job describing how speciation is a cause of evolution and used a lot of good evidence! I think speciation is a very interesting part of evolution in how one species can change and adapt to become an entire new species that may not even mate with the original species they are related to. I agree that lineages are a simple way to help explain such a broad topic. The graphics that you included are very good explanations of what speciation is and how it occurs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG first of all I love all these fun colors you have going on in your blog!! I love that you used the example of the salamanders and creating a ring species. I think this is by far one of the coolest examples I have heard of speciation. How they all started out so similar then by just being geographically isolated the became a completely new species that could not mate with each other! I also liked how you note that speciation can happen relatively quick. Or relatively slow it just depends on the situation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ring species are always such a trip to think about! If they could just hop over the mountain or river or whatever is keeping them apart somewhere in the middle they wouldn't be so genetically different, but since they meet again right at the end it's too late to go back and a bunch of new species have been made!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Madison, I absolutely love the format you created for your blog! It really makes it seem so inviting I knew I just had to read what your thoughts were about this prediction. I loved your examples that explained speciation. It sort of reminds me of the experiment that observed the stickleback fish after the 1964 Great Alaska Earthquake; though it covered microevolution. Bravo on explaining speciation in depth as it is so easy to confuse the different ideas and predictions that all fall under the giant theory of evolution.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Madison, I really liked your point as to how each species and life is affected by evolution in some capacity. I completely agree with your perspective. I like how you brought in multiple examples to support your claim of how lineages split and diverge. I agree with your point how genetic changes can increase a species survival rate and therefore that trait would be more likely to be passed on to their offspring. I also want to applaud you for your format and theme of the blog, it is very pleasing to the eye!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like that you mentioned reproductive isolation as a factor leading to speciation. I think it is crazy that organisms once apart of the same species can break off and evolve to the point where they can no longer reproduce with one another. I also like that you elaborated on two examples presented in class and gave us a more in depth take. Good job.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post Module 6: Reflection Prompt

Blog Post Module 10: Reflection Prompt

Blog Post Module 4: Reflection Prompt