First Blog Post
- What is your name, where are you from, and where do you hope to go?
My name is Madison Zimmerman. I am from Parker Colorado. I was raised in Colorado, but all my family is from Goodland Kansas. I hope to go back home to Colorado and live in the mountains. I will further my education for a while and get my master's then head to medical school but ultimately, I want to go back home to work.
- What is something you are passionate about?
I am passionate about helping others, I believe if there is something I can do then I must help. There is so much we can accomplish when people help each other out. In addition, I am passionate about helping others because of my experiences in the medical field. I learned so much about medicine but also just about people. When you can offer them help on the medical side, that is valuable. But when you can just be there for them as a friend, that's more valuable because you never know what someone is going through. Having compassion is key. I am also passionate about geriatrics; I think there is a lot we need to accomplish in that field in order to help out the aging population. Having proper care for this age group is a necessity.
- What fascinates you about evolution or biology in general?
I am fascinated by many different aspects of biology and evolution. Being a triplet, I love studying the genetic sides of biology but also epigenetic factors. Human health is so complex and ever-changing so there is so much to learn and continue to explore. In addition, I am passionate about the outdoors, so biology is amazing in the sense that everything is connected as well. I am very interested in the evolution side of medicine though because of current events. With the pandemic, it seems that things are changing so fast and I'm curious how diseases and viruses evolve in our society.
- How do you think evolution relates to your daily life?
I think evolution is in every aspect of our lives, from the big to the small things. Evolution is connected to our genetics and how we adapted to our living. It relates to our daily lives through medicine and learning why certain aspects change in science, or how we can alter medicine to adapt to better treatments and conditions. By understanding pathogenic diseases, evolutionary and medical professionals can always stay ahead of the issue and predict patterns. Evolution is a part of every aspect of our life, so we interact with components every day. From diseases to global health problems, evolution surrounds us.
- What do you hope to get out of this class?
I hope to better understand the medical side of evolution as this will be of relevance in my future career. I hope to appreciate the science behind decisions that are made and become educated when it comes to analyzing evolutionary patterns in our society. Having the opportunity to also learn to code will be beneficial to all future endeavors. Learning to analyze science is important and establishing confidence in evolution will help to better understand so many different components of biology.
Hey Madison, also I wanted to point out that Hannah Nine had also said she was passionate abut helping others as well. (possibly you guys will have a lot of view points in life) I personally am the type of person that would rather help animals than humans because it always seems less stressful. I do feel that this class will be able to help you understand how things are changing with evolution in the medical field. Since it is something that goes into generations, maybe COVID is something that will be passed down later that we will be able to adapt to. (with or without the vaccination) Possibly we might be able to over come this or maybe we won't just like we wont know till later how the vaccination is going to help and what it can do to you.
ReplyDeleteHey Madison! Great name! ;] Sounds like you'll get a lot out of this class - a lot of our examples and focus falls into the microbio world. We'll even have an entire assignment about COVID! But what kind of doctor do you want to be? Do you want to work in geriatrics?
ReplyDeleteMadison,
ReplyDeleteI love how you talk about how you are passionate about geriatrics. I think so many people headed into the medical field are more concerned with the younger population because they feel more connected to that age group. However so many people forget about this age group of people who still have so much life to live and care needed. On another note... I too am also interested in epigenetics and how things that happen during someone's life can have such a strong influence on those after them! So excited for this class with you!
Hi Madison! I am also on the pre-med track and I loved your perspective on the value of medicine and treating others with compassion. I agree about how fast things are changing, especially during COVID, and would love to gain more insight on how diseases and viruses evolve as well! I wish you the best of luck on your journey to medical school and living in Colorado!
ReplyDelete